Leadership has been defined as “the ability to influence people through inspiration, generated by a passion, which can only be created from a God given purpose.” We should always be in a perpetual state of growing and developing as leaders. Leadership means, seeing yourself as a resource for other people’s success. That reflects a mandate of embracing a serious responsibility of leaving something for the next generation.
I have come to understand that people have eight basic needs. If you are going to lead people well, these eight things can help you.
People need eight essential things to keep them going:
- Affirmation/Encouragement – encouragement is like oxygen to the soul.
- Appreciation or praise – Create an atmosphere of approval.
- Recognition or Attention – “Be more concerned about making others feel good about themselves than you are in making others feel good about you.” John C. Maxwell
- Inspiration – Tony Robbins asserted, “Motivation doesn’t work!” People need to be inspired to change.
- Compensation or reward – pay peanuts you get monkeys.
- Comprehension or understanding – People want to be listened to.
- Reconciliation or forgiveness – A lot of people are broken or come from broken families. Unconditional and unlimited forgiveness help to heal the broken areas of our lives.
- Enthusiasm. – The Greek word for enthusiasm is “En Theos,” God within ness. People need a spiritual guide to navigate through the issues of life, to accomplish the essentials of life.
Always remember, no human being can validate your sense of self-worth. To find out the purpose for your life, you must go back to the creator of your life. God’s commentary is this: Colossians 1:16 (Msg) “I am your creator you were in my care even before you were born.”
If we will keep standing on the Rock, we’ll always be safe and secure in Him.